Wednesday, August 29, 2012

London 2012

I can't say I'm singing in the rain per say but I thought this was pretty fitting considering it's quite rainy and grey here. I left Montreal in the middle of a heat wave so it feels like I've jump started my Fall by being here. Thankfully I brought my umbrella but there is a bit of chill in my bones. I am slightly under dressed. So far my goal is to conquer this jet lag. Arthur and Ben live in Brockley which is only a few stops from the heart of the City's West End. Last night I surprised myself by pushing through the London rush hour to see Sweeney Todd. I read an amazing review about Imelda Staunton's performance in the NY Times (she was brilliant) and I was particularly happy to see Michael Ball in the lead role since I have been a fan of his since he was the original Marius in Les Miserable. The show was strong and dynamic with exceptional performances overall. Great way to cut through my fatigue. Grey and rain are great for Gallery walks but brain still lacks the clarity to soak in anything in a meaningful way. Despite my lack of direction (what am I doing here?) I have to admit it's refreshing to be away from my normal surroundings even though it's not a very relaxing choice. The pace of this place means the trip will go fast. Already by tomorrow I will have just a week left and my days are slowly taking some structure with possible club dates, shows and Zumba class(!)
I'm determined to fight the urge to do what I know and eat and shop at the same places I would in Montreal in order to feel safe and comfortable. It's a bit difficult now that every major city is starting to look the same. It was cool to have a coffee at The Crypt at St. Martin's. But my Starbuck addiction continues to be my anchor.
London Fashion outside the Lyceum
"because sometimes the first thing that needs doing on a trip to London is dirty laundry"
my flatmate

No comments: